Thursday, April 14, 2011

"Song after song throbbed with secret pain" (Eugenides 256)

The boys across the street have their first prolonged musical encounter with the girls over the telephone. They play songs to each other, in a sort of song conversation.



"Alone Again, Naturally"
(The Lisbon girls)
"Why did He desert me in my hour of need? I truly am indeed, alone again, naturally"
"It seems to me that there are more hearts broken in the world that can be mended"
"To think that only yesterday, I was cheerful bright and gay"
"I promised myself to treat myself and visit a nearby tower, and climbing to the top, will throw myself off"

"You've got a Friend"
(The boys)
"You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am, I'll come running to see you again"
"Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall, all you have to do is call, and I'll be there"

"Where do the Children Play?"
(The Lisbon girls)
"I know we've come a long way, we're changing day to day. But tell me, where do the children play?"
"Will you make us laugh, will you make us cry? Will you tell us when to live, will you tell us when to die?"

"Dear Prudence"
(The boys)
"Won't you come out to play?"
"The sun is up, the sky is blue, it's beautiful and so are you"
"Open up your eyes, see the sunny skies"
"Let me see you smile, like a little child"
"Greet the brand new day"

"Candle in the Wind"
(The Lisbon girls)
"They set you on the treadmill and they made you change your name"
"Never knowing who to cling to, when the rain set in"
"Loneliness was tough, the toughest role you ever played"
"Your candle burned out long before your legend ever did"

"Wild Horses"
(The boys)
"Childhood living is easy to do, the things you wanted I bought them for you"
"Let's do some living after we die"
"I watched you suffer a dull aching pain, now you decided to show me the same"
"Wild horses couldn't drag me away"

"At Seventeen"
(The Lisbon girls)
"I learned the truth at seventeen, that love was meant for beauty queens"
"We all play the game and when we dare to cheat ourselves at solitaire, inventing lovers on the phone, repenting other lives unknown"
"Dreams were all they gave for free, to ugly duckling girls like me"
"To all of us that knew the pain of valentines that never came"

"Time In a Bottle"
(The boys)
"Save every day till eternity passes away, just to spend them with you"
"You're the one I want to go through time with"
"There never seems to be enough time to do what you want to do"

"So Far Away"
(The Lisbon girls)
"Holding you again would only do me good. How I wish I could, but you're so far away"
"It would be so fine to see your face at my door"
"Nothing else to do but close my mind"
"There are so many dreams I have yet to find"

"Bridge Over Troubled Water"
(The boys)
"I'm on your side, when times get rough and friends are hard to find"
"When evening falls so hard, I will comfort you"
"Sail on, silver girl, your time has come to shine"
"If you need a friend, I'm sailing right behind"




No comments:

Post a Comment